Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pizza: Morning, Noon and Night

 As I begin this week's blog, I would first like to thank my first few readers. Your feedback has been incredible and I am so pleased to hear all of the positive comments. As suggested, I will have a recipe in each blog. Over the years I have acquired and created a number of mouth-watering recipes that I am more than happy to share. I hope that in this blog you are able to find inspiration, whether it be in one of those recipes, pictures of event decor or something as simple as a story of one of my travels.  Which brings me to the question: What inspires you? A person? A place? Things big or small? Feel free to leave a comment and share.

Interestingly enough,  this week’s recipe inspiration came about by the means of a good friend of mine who just returned from a trip from California.  After winning Delta Airline round trip tickets that they had so graciously donated to one of the many non-profits they support, she dined her way through wine country with her own Southern flair.

When she returned, my friend raved about a restuarant with breakfast pizzas. While I've had my fair share of cold Dominos for breakfast, she ensured that these pizzas have a bit more sophistication. Combining the unique flavors that California is known for, this breakfast treat is the epitome of freshness and comfort.

I loved the idea so much that I decided to come up with my own version: the BLT Pizza, a combination of soft fried eggs, crispy bacon, and peppery arugula greens.

This has been a true crowd-pleaser.  Of course, most things with bacon are, so don't be suprised if it disappears quickly. Share with friends, family or keep it for yourself (I won't tell)...

BLT Pizza
  • 12 ounces, weight Prepared Pizza Dough
  • Olive Oil, For Drizzling On Pizza Dough
  • 4 whole Eggs
  • 8 strips Cooked Bacon (Adjust to taste. I love bacon, and think the more, the better!)
  • 1 1/2 cups Grated Mozzarella
  • ¼ cups Grated Parmesan
  • 1 pinch Kosher Salt
  • 1 pinch Freshly Cracked Pepper
  • 1 cup Arugula
  • 1 whole shallot
  • 3 Sprigs Rosemary, stripped and diced (optional)
  • Cherry Tomatoes 
Liberally cover your kitchen counter with flour. Knead rosemary into dough and roll to a 1/4-inch thickness. Brush both sides of dough with olive oil and set aside. 


Preheat your grill to approximately 375-400 degrees. Once the grill is at the desired temperature, place the dough on the grill. Make sure to keep a close eye on the dough as it cooks, as it can burn quickly. Mark each side of the dough and move off of direct heat. Crack eggs onto the dough and close grill lid for 2 minutes.  


Once the eggs whites are opaque and the yolks are set, top the pizza with cooked bacon slices, cheeses, shallots and arugula. Cover again for 2 minutes or until cheeses are melted and arugula has wilted. Add sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.

I know you're getting hungry. Word to the wise though; this is definitely a fork and knife kind of pizza. You don't want to end up with egg on your face (or on your shirt!) I have the dry cleaning bill to prove it.

1 comment:

  1. In Lebanese rural dishes, there is a flatbread that has only eggs on top; your pizza reminded me of this and I bet if I served this it would be gone in minutes! EXcellent dish!

    ReplyDelete